What is idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis (IGH) ?
- These are discrete porcelain-white spots measuring about 5mm in diameter.
- The lesions are localized on sun-exposed areas, more often on the forearms and shins.
- These spots are stable and do not tend to grow.
- Hairs located on the lesions are unaffected.
- No treatment is needed. Foe cosmetic concerns, cryotherapy is sometimes tried as well as creams containing calcineurin inhibitors.
How to distinguish between IGH and vitiligo ?
- Vitiligo is also distributed symmetrically.
- Lesions of vitiligo are chalk-colored and have an irregular border.
- Spots of vitiligo have a tendency to grow.
- Hairs located on the lesions are also affected and appear white.
Source of information: here