- This is a cancer of the pigment cells of the skin.
- It is a highly malignant skin cancer.
- It presents as dark brown or black skin growth or ulcer. It may look like ordinary moles. But unlike the common mole:
- it grows rapidly
- its surface has several shades of red, black or blue colours
- its margin is irregular
- it tends to be large.
- it tends to be thick.
- Melanoma is uncommon among Asians where it occurs on the fingers, toes and face.
Treatment for melanoma
- Melanomas should be removed immediately.
- The cancerous tumours must be destroyed or removed surgically.
- Sometimes, a small piece of the tumour is removed (skin biopsy) first for examination to confirm if it is cancerous.
Source of information: here