- The Greek word of origin is:
- πιεζειν = piezein = to press
- The term in English is: PPPP (Painful Pedal Piezogenic Papules)
- …was described in 1968 by 2 US dermatologists: Drs Walter B. Shelley (1917-2009 and Rawnsley.
- This condition is mechanical in origin and rarely painful, It is caused by the herniation of fat tissue. It is visible only when standing and is localized to the laterally and posteriorly to the heels. They appear as skin-colored bilateral and multiple skin-colored or yellowish papules.
- Regarding to their etiology, fragmentation of elastic fibers and/or reduced stability of collagen fibers could be involved.
Source of information:
-Harms M. Dermatologica Helvetica (The Swiss Journal of Dermatology and Venereology: www.dermatologicahelvetica.com
Original article: here