- Thyroid dysfunction comprises hypothyroidism and hyperthryoidism.
- Autoantibodies against thyroglobulin and thyroperoxidase are found and the thyroid can still remain functional (normal levels of TSH + F4)
- 4-21% of patients have these autoantibodies
- The prospective study (626 patients) found that:
- 21% had thyroid stigma (n=131)
- subclinical hypothyroidism was found in 51 patients
- Results suggest that tests should be done when:
- higher age
- female sex (role of oestrogens)
- disease activity in the last 6 months
- affected surface more than 9%
- involvement of the hands and/or feet.
Source of information: Ezzedine K. Autoimmune thyroid stigma in vitiligo. European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV) Annual Meeting – Istanbul, Turkey, 2-6 October 2013
Original article: here