What is Botulinum Toxin ? How does it treat wrinkles ?
- It is a toxin produced by the bacteria Clostridium Botulinium. When injected in big quantities, the toxin induces muscular paralysis. In smaller quantities in a targeted muscle, the paralysis remains localized. Therefore, if it is injected in the muscles which produce frowning wrinkles and expression wrinkles, they will disappear.
- The injected toxin is purified.
What are the indications for botulinum toxin use ?
-crow’s feet wrinkles
-wrinkles of the forehead
-wrinkles of the neck
How is the treatment done ?
- It is done in a series of injections with a very fine needle in a group of muscles which produce the unwanted expression wrinkles.
- For the wrinkles of the forehead, the injection of the toxin is done in a group of muscles located just over the eyebrows. The toxin is also injected over the muscle bridging the nose.
- When treating crow’s feet, a series of injections of the toxin is done in certain parts of the muscle located on the corner of the eye.
How long does the treatment last ? Is it painful ?
The treatment only lasts a few minutes and is relatively painless, each time limited to the injection itself.
What to do after the injection ?
- Do not lie down for 3-4 hours after the treatment.
- Try to move the injected muscles as much as possible to facilitate the diffusion of the toxin in the muscle.
- Do not touch the injected area.
How long do the effects of the treatment last ?
- The wrinkle-canceling effect takes place fully 3 to 4 days after the injection. After the second week, complete paralysis of the muscle is obtained.
- The paralysis only lasts 3 to 4 months and this varies from one individual to another. The effects then fade and the treatment must be done again to maintain the effect.
Are there any side-effects ?
- They are not frequent. No serious or permanent side-effect has been reported to this day.
- They are usually limited to the injection itself:
- pain while injecting
- small chance of bruising
- lower eyebrows: infrequent and temporary
How to improve the appearance if the effects of botulinum toxin are not sufficient ?
Filler injections are available and it is recommended to use hyaluronic acid because of its effects that are reversible (5-6 months), also allergic reactions are rare. This treatment can be done two weeks following the injection of botulinum toxin after application or not of an anesthetic cream.
Source of information: here